HERE IS THE INFORMATION ONCE ACCEPTED TO BE A VOLUNTEER AT BAAN DADA
WHAT TO BRING
- Toilet paper
- Mosquito repellent
- The money for your stay – ATM in Sangkhlaburi
- Small first-aid kit
- Water bottle
- Any medication you may need
- COOL SEASON – Warm clothes for the night
- HOT SEASON – Long clothes for sun protection
- RAINY SEASON – Umbrella, Rain Jackets
ITEMS WE PROVIDE
- Blankets, pillows, sleeping sheets
- Mosquito Net
- All food and water
- Fridge, Kettle, Toaster
ITEMS YOU CAN BRING FOR THE HOME
Items such as school supplies, toys, medical gear and so forth can be purchased more cheaply in Thailand, therefore monetary donations rather than items are best. However, there are some things you can bring.
- New laptops, software, and computer supplies
- Thumb drives and card readers. These are for office works when we need to transfer or store large files between different platforms. We can also use them to store children’s favorite movies!
- Educational games or toys. This can be anything you think the children will enjoy. Second hand is fine too. We had a volunteer who brought a set of Scrabble (like a spelling game). He used it in English class, and it was a lot of fun.
- Old jewelry, accessories, and used clothing for the children to sell on market days.
- Topical Anesthetics. These will be sent to the clinic in Burma. It is hard for us to acquire any anesthetics here but we do need them in minor medical procedures like suturing. These can usually be purchased over the counter at most pharmacies.
We understand that most volunteers have a long way to travel, so please don’t worry if you cannot bring any more extra luggage with you. We understand and appreciate just you coming to be a part of our family.
Many volunteers do some fundraising before coming to Baan Dada. This allows them to pour money into the project that they are most passionate about, or perhaps propose a new project. Please check our DONATIONS page to see our current fundraising projects. In the past, volunteers have conducted charity dinners, walks, concerts, market stalls or bike rides and have raised thousands!
DIRECTIONS FROM BANGKOK
- You can organize a minivan from the SAI TAI MAI bus terminal to Kanchanaburi (2-3 hours). Also, you can organize from many travel agents in the tourist district around Khao San Road OR From Mochit Northern Bus terminal there is a direct bus to Sangkhlaburi that leaves at approximately 6am and takes 7 hours.
- Once in Kanchanaburi, you will have to go onto another minivan to get to Sangkhlaburi (3-4 hours).
- In Sangkhlaburi there is a bus terminal at the opposite end of the road, you will walk past a CJ’s and 7/11. Drivers will know where to go if you say, Baan Dada.
- From there you can get a green truck to Baan Dada – the price varies depending on how many people are riding with you.
***Another option, once you get to Sangkhlaburi, across the road from CJ’s is a police box. This is where the children get picked up from school in the afternoon at 4pm between Monday and Friday. Organize with the Dada and you can ride the school truck home!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING TO BAAN DADA AND IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS WHATSOEVER, PLEASE DONT HESITATE TO EMAIL